Friday, May 9, 2008

Last Requests

We drove past the cemetery today on the way to the dry cleaner. After an Earth Day ward service project a couple years ago, my kids have a very healthy attitude of what a cemetery is--almost too healthy. Reese looked out the window and very thoughfully said, "Mom, when I die and you bury me in the ground, will you please put plastic sea animals by my gravestone and put a picture of me scuba diving on it?" (I took this picture a while ago--please don't think I had him pose for this post!) My eyes filled with tears as I told him that I would, but that I hoped he wouldn't die before me. He asked if I would be sad if he died and I told him that my heart would break because I would be so sad, but that I know that I would be his mama forever, so I would be okay.
I am crying as I am writing this. I am so grateful for temple marriage and for the knowledge that I have that families are forever. I love my kids with all my heart and am thankful for the comfort that my testimony gives to all of us, but I still hope that I don't ever have to go put plastic sea animals by my son's grave. Boy, this is a depressing post...Sorry.

8 comments:

Emily Oman said...

What a sweet boy! That post made me cry too you have such a sweet little family, I miss you guys so much!

Jennie @ Porch Swing Quilts said...

Emily, I usually only cry like this when I hear sappy country songs!
How sweet. That sounds like something Reese would say. Why do I get the feeling I'll be answering questions like this from my Laurel someday . . .

Em said...

Reese is so cute!

Danielle said...

How cute is he?? I'd be crying too! I heard we won't be exercising this upcoming week :( Atleast I will have another week to recouperate. Yea, I was kinda on a blogging roll today!!!
Hope you have a wonderful Mother's Day!!

Tony and Traci said...

What a funny little kid
I can just picture him saying that. I remember how he would bring all of this little animals to our exercise session. I miss you guys sooooo much

The Yancey Family said...

Oh, sweet little Reese! I cried when I read this, too. I too am so very glad for the knowledge that families are forever!

Brigitte said...

Aww.... that is so precious! That is the cutest story and I love the 'posed' picture. ;)

Jackson Family said...

That is such an emotional story. It reminds me of this time my family and I were joking around and my brother said he would bury me in the ocean, because I love water so much. Leave it to the mind of a child. But the real kicker was when he asked to have his favorite bear with him. That would be tough. Even though Cody is my brother I know how you feel as you wrote this post.